Which night train routes are still needed? Which ones are realistic?
Which distances would travel times allow in 2030?
In this project, we first want to present a meta-study of existing feasibility studies. In the next step, we want to complement these with well-founded route proposals. The aim is to present (by the time of the EP elections in 2024) a serious proposal for a night train destination network that could be technically and politically implemented by 2030.
Start of this project: 25th September 2023
Deadline for this project Spring 2024 (day t.b.d.)
Project coordinator: t.b.d.
Tasks to be accomplished:
- Complete our collection of feasibility studies
- List the proposals in a table with the available key feasibility parameters for all the proposals, possibly using the model of the database of existing night trains.
- Discuss definitions and scope (do we look at 2030 or better 2032, do we examine the amount of trains needed per line etc…)
- Streamline overlapping proposals
- Present the metastudy to the public
- Identifying missing links by allocating the proposed and existing lines to our list of replaceable connections form the 2022 study of the GHG-reduction Potential of night trains – we’ll see which relations are missing
- Configuring lines that would cover the the gap and examining their feasibility
- Draw a map of all lines needed.
- Possibly use the interactive map from the Night train Database procet to present an interactive map of our proposal.
- Present the map to the public, possibly alongside a EU transport ministers meeting in Brussels during the Belgian presidency
- Possibly publish the Target Network 2030 on the backside of the 2024 printed version of our night train map.
We need your support:
Interested in supporting this endeavour? We need:
- A project coordinator
- 3-4 researchers
a designer willed to continue working with our map in Figma(we might have one)
- Someone with writing skills (in any language), coordinating press work (in English)