VCD Verkehrsclub Deutschland has made comparisons and recommendations for a number of train rides from Germany to other European countries with the title:
Europa per Train –
Relaxed and with a good price to the most attractive Metropolen!
The include day-journeys to 12 hours, but also a couple of night trains. VCD conclude these demands:
- A synchronized, European long-distance train network with fast and long-term connections, attractive transfer times and secured connections.
- The expansion of the night train network for other parts of Europe.
- A public, consumer-friendly platform on which all public transport offers as a travel chain can be booked online throughout Europe. Tickets for international train travel has to be as easy as booking a ticket for a flight.
- Compensation claims must be able to be asserted for a complete travel chain – even if this is offered by different mobility service providers.
- No VAT on international routes: Take other EU countries like France or the Czech Republic as an example.
- Uncomplicated, easily bookable option to take Bicycles on the train.