Back on Track
We are a European network to support improved European cross-border passenger train traffic and in particular the night trains.
The network sees trains as:
- One of the most environment-friendly European long distance ways of travelling
- An important part of the transport system to come, and not only a part of our history
- A convenient way of travel to both leisure and business, all the year around
- International trains as well as night trains and auto-trains as an integrated part of European railway traffic. Neglected night trains are a strong indicator of a dis-integrated and deteriorated rail system.
We think that…
- Subsidies must be allowed, as long as trains suffer from unfair competition for instance compared to airplanes.
- Modern and reliable rail transport should be kept a public responsibility and kept as an integrated entity to the benefit of the passengers and not to shareholders. With good workplaces and with a dedicated staff.
- Railways shall keep a good level of service – easy to buy international tickets, one system for all tickets, not too expensive, with improved trains (night trains are suffering from old stock)
- Good long-distance connections are needed – interconnected night trains and international day trains, with coordinated timetables
- Night trains should connect a wide range of major cities and countries in Europe
- Regional cross-border train connections should be developed
How we work
We campaign through outreach & mobilization, EU lobbying, international and national campaigns. We are a grassroots network, open for individuals and groups who support our goals. We can work together with other movements such as environmental and labour organisations, and put pressure on political parties, press and opinion leaders. We work on both the national and European level.
We respect differences among us, and focus upon what ties us together.
We have a flat structure; we meet on-line and on-site, and try to reach agreements in common.
We base our work upon voluntary work. It can also be fun to be a railway activist!